Mortal Kombat 3
- First worn to MegaCon 2011
- Price wise I spent $120
- Construction time about 4 weeks
The idea for a Mortal Kombat cosplay group was first proposed back at AFO 2010. It was one of those ideas that everyone seemed to agree on and it seemed like it would be fun. I chose Sindel because I really wanted to do something theatrical and I think Sindel's costume and style fit that well.
To start, I searched around online until I could find a bathing suit pattern that was closest to her design. As usual I found a great Kwik Sew pattern that could be altered perfectly. Then I purchased swim & dance fabric in purple and black and I used that for the suit, gloves and boot covers. To get the slit down the front I first ironed on some stretch interfacing and then a cut a line down it. Then I cut the purple piece to go on the front and I did the same thing, once I got it to line up just right I sewed it onto the black suit. To keep the front together I sewed on some clear elastic and I also used it to make the neck strap to hold up the suit. Once I added the elastic to the leg holes it really started to become more form fitting, I still added another piece of clear elastic along the small of my back to tighten it up.
To start the boot covers I purchased a pair of heels and worked around them. First step was to make black thigh high stocking/covers, I traced a pair of stocking I had and cut a hole for the heel to go through. Then I cut out a hole on the back of the upper leg and attached straps made of the same fabric. Once this was done I drafted a pattern for the purple spats that go on the lower leg. I literally wore the shoes with the black stocking and pinned the purple pieces in the mirror and then sewed it on.
For the jacket I purchased purple cotton fabric in the closest shade to match the rest of the costume and I got some white and black cotton as well. The jacket was made with a simple bolero pattern that I picked up and I added the black bias around the arm hole. I also drafted her crazy white collar and sewed in some interfacing to make it stand up. For the black lines I simply used heat n bond to attach the black stripes. This same method was used for her white wrist bands and the black gloves were made with the same black fabric as the rest of the costume.
Originally I purchased the white eye contacts for this costume but they ended up not staying on right and decided to float to the back of my eye-so I had to scratch that idea.
A big thanks to Indra for the wonderful make up job she did for this costume using her own line of cosmetics.
The wig was purchased off of eBay; but the black wefts and all the styling was done by Dee.