The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Princess in Distress
- First worn at MegaCon 2009
- Price wise this costume cost about $150 >_<
- Worked on this on and off for about three months
My good friend Indra and Megan were also making Zelda costumes for MegaCon so we decided to make it a group. I always wanted to make a Zelda costume but I was never sure which one to do. I choose this one because I loved the colors and didn't want to make a ton of armor.
Once again I got all of my fabric for this costume from Jo Ann's, I made my selection from their Casa Collection a.k.a. prom fabric central. This was the first long dress and bodice I had ever made so it was a learning experience for sure. The bodice is lined and has some plastic boning sewn along the seams to help it keep shape. The skirt itself is not lined but I did use a serger for the first time to hem the bottom of it. The blue trim was also purchased and sewn along the bottom of the skirt. As for the blue apron that gave me the most trouble, I traced the designs by hand and enlarged them on my scanner. Then I raced them onto fabric and cut them out. Each piece had to have two layers in order to make it look more solid, so I carefully glued the two pieces together. I traced the edges of each piece in matching fabric paint and then it was just a matter of laying them out on the apron.
The belt as well as the chest plate were both made out of foamie, the details were added with fabric paint and I spray painted over them. As for the crown; the wings were crafted out of model magic clay, and the gold pieces were made out of sculpey bake clay. All pieces were then glued to a regular gold headband. The pink necklace was also made out of model magic air dry clay. Close ups and more information can be found on the props page.