Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
- First worn to Anime Festival Orlando 2011
- Price wise I spent at least $100
- On and off over the course of a year <--- LOL
Assassin's Creed is such a fun franchise to me, it has such a unique concept and a rich character design. Yes I know the first game was repetitive but I love the fact that Ubisoft fixed a majority of the problems in AC2. The first thing that appealed to me is that the game is set in Italy and since I'm Italian I was instantly intrigued. I was always trying to come up with some costume idea from this game and then I decided to do something original. This costume was something I started to make in the Fall of 2010 and just ended up being on hold so that I could get other outfits done. After playing Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood I knew it was time to get it done!
I started brainstorming ideas, I knew that I didn't want to make a characters costume but rather my own design. This costume is mostly made out of suede and taffeta that I purchased in the clearance section of JoAnn's. It all started with Simplicity pattern #3629 which was used to make the main dress. The dress is lined and has interfacing since I wanted it to have some body to it. I added the front ruffle since the top ended up way too low cut. I purchased some lace trim and and burgundy braid that I layered to go down all the seams around the dress. The sleeves I believe are linen and were cut off of another costume shirt that I had half finished, so all I had to do was sew those into place.
The lower skirt is also made out of suede and has interfacing but it is lined in burgundy taffeta. I had to mess around with the shape of these since I was trying to get the same look as Ezio's costume. Once I got them right I sewed them onto an elastic band and I hand sewed tiny lace all around the edges. The cape was shaped off of the one that I used for Batgirl, it too is suede with taffeta lining. It's held in place with a pauldron (that is made out of costume vinyl) and leather cording that goes around my body. I made a bracer to cover my hidden blade; the pattern was just something that I drew up. And then I made a fun bracelet to go on my other wrist.
The one thing that gave me the hardest time was the the hood >_< I fought back and forth trying to make that thing fit just right. In the end I wasn't 100% with how it turned out but I was just to the point where I had to accept what I had. Same style for the hood; suede, taffeta and white lace. The look is pulled together with brown stocking and boots, and I even made a Carnivale mask to go with it.
When I wore this to the con I had to attach some clear elastic between my shoulders because the weight of the cape kept making my sleeve slide down. All in all this costume was a nice challenge to make and I am please with the final product. Wearing it in the Florida heat really isn't something I would recommend.