WW2 Captain America
Stars & Stripes
- First worn at MegaCon 2013
- Spent around $90
- Worked on this for two months
I always had the idea of this costume floating around in my head. Cap's WW2 outfit was something that I loved and just had to recreated. The look is inspired by one of Kusanagi's outfits in Ghost in the Shell. My plan was to make this costume look feminine and sexy but still be somewhat practical. When Trevor asked me to make him a Captain America costume I figured it was time to make this costume a reality.
I started but drawing out the idea on paper so that I could get a visual. I'm not the best artist so I printed out a female figure and drew out the outfit on it. I debated adding short sleeves and pockets on the pants but I'm glad I decided against it.
The top was the first part that I started with, I ripped apart my RE5 Jill costume and used that to pattern out the pieces. The navy blue fabric is from JoAnn's Swim & Dance spandex collection. The red and white stripes were purchased from Spandex House. I faked in the fold over flap on the front, it's basically just a square of fabric that I sewed on top. In order to make it stand out I top stitched it with a long running stitch of white thread and I added the buttons down the side. Instead of doing sleeves I just added white bias around the arm holes. To give it the "officer look" I make the color come up a bit and accented it with a bit of red fabric in the center. I then literally sewed the bottom half to the top and I worked and reworked until I had the french cut just right. I added .25" elastic to the leg holed to try and keep it from riding up.
For the pants I used McCall's Pattern 6173, they didn't have it in my size so I had to make them in large and then take them in until I was happy with the fit. The boots I already had and I made the spats out of duck cloth. The belt was store bought but I did make everyone one of those little pouches. They were functional so I was able to carry about my phone and wallet and keep my hands free. The gloves were an eBay purchase as well as the helmet; I spray painted it navy blue and added a foamie "A" to the front. The star was duck cloth that I satin stitched all round the edges, I used a metallic embroidery thread to make the edges pop. I did my own make up for this costume and I used Urban Decay shadows and eye liners
Wig courtesy of Hoodedwoman
Wig courtesy of Hoodedwoman
The shield was made out of thin wood that Trevor cut with the help of his dad. He then sanded down the edges and we added pleather straps to the back. I sectioned it off with paper so that I could spray the design onto it with spray paint. I opted to make the stars out of foamie instead of spraying them with a stencil.